Villa de Teguise is built on the site of an ancient village which was inhabited by the island’s pre-Hispanic residents. After the European conquest at the start of the 15th Century, the town became the main urban centre in Lanzarote. Villa de Teguise would be established as the centre of political, religious, and military power during the decades after the conquest, even becoming the island’s capital until 1852, when it lost its title to Arrecife.
It is found inland in Lanzarote, which led to the decision to settle here as it was protected from the frequent pirate attacks in the 16th and 17th centuries. Away from the coast, they were still able to keep watch on the sea, while also making the most of the easy access to water and fertile lands for farming.
Today it is the capital of the Teguise region and one of the best-preserved historic centres in the Canary Islands, where low-rise buildings with white facades and green carpentry prevail.
Most popular spots in Villa de Teguise
- Market. Every Sunday, there is a market where artisan items and traditional food intermingle in a setting of leisure and local culture.
- Convento de San Francisco (Convent of San Francisco). Ancient Franciscan monastery from the late 16th century. Only its church has survived the passing of time.
- Convento de Santo Domingo (Convent of Santo Domingo). Ancient convent church of the Saint Dominican order, from the early 18th century.
- Ermita de la Veracruz (La Veracruz Chapel). Small Catholic church from the 17th Century, home of the image of Santísimo Cristo de la Vera Cruz (Christ on the True Cross).
- Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe (Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe). Built in the early 15th Century, which stands out for its stone tower which crowns Villa de Teguise.
- Castillo de Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara Castle). The town’s defensive fort, built in the 14th Century. Today, it houses the Piracy Museum.